Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Don't Want A Man Who Lives For Me

I can't help it. I have to post this poem I wrote... See, the thing is that I have noticed the growing obsession in young adults' literature with dependent relationships. You can't deny they ALL have them (Edward and Bella, Luce and Daniel, blah blah blah) have dependent relationships.

It seems romantic at first glance ,especially to someone like myself who is a hopeless romantic, all the talk about "I would die without you!" and "You ARE my life!" But as you think about it... you begin to realize just how unhealthy and

unbalanced it is. And that's not necessarily love. I mean, I'm not denying that they all didn't love each other deeply -- but it's a dependent love, the kind where you can't give your whole self because you are nothing without them. Basically, you treat the other like God. Ugh. That is NOT good. So, I got frustrated by all the crap that's being fed to young adults and teenagers, and decided to channel my fury in a healthy way (hehehehe). So I wrote this poem.

Enjoy :-)

I don't want a man who lives for me --
There has to be more than that.
He has to see something inside of me
and Something that I am inside of.


I want him to love me unconditionally --
but I don't want him to live for me.
If I were to go before it's his time too,
I want him to be strong and carry on
because I'm not the reason he loved life.


I don't want a man who lives for me --
There has to be something greater than 'us.'
I can't be the reason he's the man that he is;
the hand to hold onto when he feels that he's drowning.
I can't be the sun his happiness rises and sets with;
the cause of his joy and his strength.


I'll do the best that I can but I won't be enough;
I can't be the one that he lives for.
I want him to live for the One who caused me to live;
'cause He's the One that I'm living for.
We'll seek Him together and seek Him in each other,
and His strength will hold us together.


I don't want a man who lives for me --
I want a man who lives for Him, loves for us,
and lives so we can love for eternity.

5 comments:

  1. Merci beaucoup!!! I couldn't resist sharing this with the world... I feel it very deeply. Thanks for the encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be nice to wear this poem on your sleeve the way some girls wear their hearts? That would ward off any Edwards who might come your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure would! I could use it, too. The only guys who seem to pursue me are losers. -_-

    ReplyDelete